TCM2209 Stepper driver in XOD (stepper driver project)

Hi.
I am currently working on a hobby thing.
I have copied this code from another forum, and would like to re-create it in XOD if possible, so I can refine it myself (in XOD).

It is a stepper driver+stepper motor project.
Does this look doable, and could some kind person point me in the right direction?
I have found this library " nkrkv/stepdir@1.0.0", but don’t know if it supports tcm steppers, since they do some special magic to smooth out the waves to get super silent motor action.

I just want to be able to control the motor speed via a pot, but the real magic behind it is the tmc stepper smoothing, via the code below. (ignore the back and forth motion of the motor in the code. It’s just copy/pasted from the internet).

I think I can configure a lot of stuff in standalone mode, but it needs connection to RX and TX.
The stepper library in XOD does not have any configuration for that.

#include <TMCStepper.h> // TMCstepper - GitHub - teemuatlut/TMCStepper
#include <SoftwareSerial.h> // Software serial for the UART to TMC2209 - https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/softwareSerial
#include <Streaming.h> // For serial debugging output - Streaming - Arduino Reference

#define EN_PIN 2 // Enable - PURPLE
#define DIR_PIN 3 // Direction - WHITE
#define STEP_PIN 4 // Step - ORANGE
#define SW_SCK 5 // Software Slave Clock (SCK) - BLUE
#define SW_TX 6 // SoftwareSerial receive pin - BROWN
#define SW_RX 7 // SoftwareSerial transmit pin - YELLOW
#define DRIVER_ADDRESS 0b00 // TMC2209 Driver address according to MS1 and MS2
#define R_SENSE 0.11f // SilentStepStick series use 0.11 …and so does my fysetc TMC2209 (?)

SoftwareSerial SoftSerial(SW_RX, SW_TX); // Be sure to connect RX to TX and TX to RX between both devices

TMC2209Stepper TMCdriver(&SoftSerial, R_SENSE, DRIVER_ADDRESS); // Create TMC driver

int accel;
long maxSpeed;
int speedChangeDelay;
bool dir = false;

//== Setup ===============================================================================

void setup() {

Serial.begin(11520); // initialize hardware serial for debugging
SoftSerial.begin(11520); // initialize software serial for UART motor control
TMCdriver.beginSerial(11520); // Initialize UART

pinMode(EN_PIN, OUTPUT); // Set pinmodes
pinMode(STEP_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(DIR_PIN, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(EN_PIN, LOW); // Enable TMC2209 board

TMCdriver.begin(); // UART: Init SW UART (if selected) with default 115200 baudrate
TMCdriver.toff(5); // Enables driver in software
TMCdriver.rms_current(500); // Set motor RMS current
TMCdriver.microsteps(256); // Set microsteps

TMCdriver.en_spreadCycle(false);
TMCdriver.pwm_autoscale(true); // Needed for stealthChop

}

//== Loop =================================================================================

void loop() {

accel = 10000; // Speed increase/decrease amount
maxSpeed = 50000; // Maximum speed to be reached
speedChangeDelay = 100; // Delay between speed changes

for (long i = 0; i <= maxSpeed; i = i + accel){ // Speed up to maxSpeed
TMCdriver.VACTUAL(i); // Set motor speed
Serial << TMCdriver.VACTUAL() << endl;
delay(100);
}

for (long i = maxSpeed; i >=0; i = i - accel){ // Decrease speed to zero
TMCdriver.VACTUAL(i);
Serial << TMCdriver.VACTUAL() << endl;
delay(100);
}

dir = !dir; // REVERSE DIRECTION
TMCdriver.shaft(dir); // SET DIRECTION

}

Though not trivial to do, you could try wrapping the IDE code in XOD to create a new library: Wrapping Class-based Arduino Libraries — XOD

I have found out that the specific stepper I use has a stand alone mode, where you can configure it via applying voltages to selected pins. That way I don’t have to use any of the TX/RX stuff, (since that is used for configuring it via code). So I might be able to use the nkrkv stepper lib out of the box. Will test and write back.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.