How to slow down refresh rate of a LCD

I need to slow down the refresh rate of a LCD

Currently, LCD nodes are implemented to refresh as soon as a new value comes in. If you are outputting numbers, you can use buffer node to slow down the rate of incoming values(if not, I can make you buffer nodes for other data types). Or limit it “higher up”. For example, if you are displaying value from analog input, update it less often(link clock node set do desired rate to UPD pin).

Could you please provide a more concrete example of what you are trying to do?

Thanks for responding :D, but I found a solution, I put a 600 delay on the void loop of the XOD code. Can you explain me how to use the thinks you are explaining to me? Where I put the buffer? Here is a screenshot :slight_smile:

Thanks for responding :D, but I found a solution, I put a 600 delay on the void loop of the XOD code. Can you explain me how to use the thinks you are explaining to me? Where I put the buffer? Here is a screenshot :slight_smile:

https://goo.gl/vifMCC

The LCD doesn’t refresh if the input doesn’t change. In this circuit, the input won’t change if the output of the thermometer doesn’t change. I assume you have the UPD of the thermometer set to CONTINUOUS. If you create a clock node with IVAL 0.6 and feed clock-tick to the UPD pin of the thermometer, it would only update once every 600ms. That would avoid the delay(600), which has the affect of freezing the arduino and preventing any work for 600ms.

2 Likes

Hmmm. For some weird reason, your reply was totally invisible until couple of hours ago.
Sorry for the late response😁

@gweimer already described an optimal solution for the example you providedđŸ‘đŸ» Here is a relevant part of the docs that explains it a bit further: https://xod.io/docs/tutorial/21-pulses/

The alternative solutions with buffers that I mentioned in my first reply will look like this:

That way everything in the red rectangle will be “protected” by buffer nodes and will update with limited rate, while everything outside will function like before.

The down-side of using buffers for just the LCD in this case is that your LED might be changing state, but LCD is not going to be showing WHY it is updating
could be very confusing
 You could insert the buffer just below the sensor and run everything to the buffer instead of the sensor. Either way, the buffer still needs a pulse to tell it when to update, so why not just run the pulse to the thermometer patch instead? The only reason I can think of to use buffer here would be to have the LED and LCD refresh at different rates, but I think that only leads to confusion in this case.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. This is not a very good solution for this particular case :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.