We are glad to announce the first update for XOD. The main direction of this update is making thing simpler. The discussion “Do you get the idea behind pulses?” showed us that XOD should and can be easier to understand. Thanks for your comments.
Note for existing users
If you already have XOD installed, then you have a workspace with your projects and a copy of the standard library. We won’t touch the workspace during the update. To use the new simplified nodes you’ll have to either:
- Delete the existing workspace at
C:\Users\<yourname>\xodand restart IDE
- Create a new workspace after the update via main menu: File → Select Workspace
Features and enhancements
- Remove pulse pins in most nodes. They now react to changes of input values immediately without any help of pulse signals. This slightly shifts XOD paradigm toward more simple and casual. Check out updated tutorial to see how the change simplified programs.
- Where pulses are still necessary they can be quickly bound with Inspector to a value “On boot” or “Continuously” without placing a new node with pulse source.
- Boolean outputs are now allowed to be linked to pulse inputs directly. A change of value from
trueis considered to be a single pulse.
- Patches now may include a long description with Markdown formatting and images. The description would appear on patch documentation page at http://xod.io/libs/.
- Add patch properties to Inspector. It allows editing a patch description which once published would appear as a documentation string on http://xod.io/libs/.
- Add project preferences dialog to set description, license, authors. They would appear on http://xod.io/libs/ as well.
- Add “Help” item to the main menu with links to the documentation and forum.
- Sign distributives for Windows and macOS so that they no longer bark on you when you launch the installer.
- Implement desktop IDE auto-update. Now you don’t have to download and install a new version of XOD manually. Existing version will check for updates and suggest upgrading with a single click once a new version would be available.
- Fix silent error when trying to transpile a patch with patch nodes of 2+ depth level. Now they work regardless of nesting level.
- Fix silent error when trying to transpile a program with loops (graph cycles). Now a clear error message is shown if there a loop is found.
- Fix Linux IDE failures on the first start. There were file permission problems which appeared as “Switch workspace directory” dialog appearing over and over again.
- Get rid of errors and warnings on start related to React in the developer console.
Download the update
Follow up to Downloads page to download XOD IDE v0.11.0.