Tutorial feedback

Thanks for rating the tutorial!

Welcome, new xoder! :wave: You’ve learned XOD basics. Now you can try to start own cool project. Documentation should help you to solve the problems you will stumble upon, if not, start a new topic on this forum. I bet someone will help.

When the project will be done, do not forget to share it with the World. Show it here, on the forum, in the “Look what I’ve done” category.

If XOD still confuses you, the tutorial has failed to do what it should. Please, tell us how could we make it better? What new topics should we cover, what cases should we add, what things should we describe in more detail?

1 Like

wire pinouts for the wiring in the LCD scheme do not match the numbers generated in the tutorial !!! for example RS = 11 and EN = 12 but looking at the scheme, they are reversed. This is also true for D4-D7

Hello and thanks for the feedback! Alas, many variations of the physical LCD pinout exist. Could you point what display model do you have?

Scott I suggest you to buy a I2C adapter and download the library!

Tutorial is almost perfect!
There are 3-4 spelling error to correct, I hope you will adjust it!
I rate the tutorial 3.5/5 because miss a section that explain how to use Radio module NRF24!
I really want too see that in the tutorial!!!

Thank you for the feedback. Would you mind to correct the errors you’ve mentioned and send us a PR? Just grep for the mistakes in the repo https://github.com/xodio/xod. I really appreciate your help.

What for NRF24 it would not appear in the tutorial because the basic tutorial should be acomplished with potentially any “basic Arduino kit” on market. Although, a dedicated guide article on NRF24 sounds like a good idea.

Well, I dont know what is a PR! And I dont really know how to modify that error into github!
For example im in this folder
Where I find the comment into the file and how can I modify that?
SHould I modify fzz file?

PR is a Pull Request. A good intro into contributing to open source projects is here: https://help.github.com/articles/creating-a-pull-request/ You’re free to change whatever files you’re wanting to change and offer these changes for review and merge into XOD master branch.

Do you need help in finding the right file to edit? If you provide an example of thing you want to change, I’ll describe with an example.

Its brilliant. I’d never heard of XOD and came accross it by accident when looking at some Ardunio you tube tutorials. Although I am a fairly experienced programmer, XOD has huge potential for the development of microprocessor projects where the objective is the construction of programmable hardware, rather than developing software.

I am a tutor for a local amateur radio club and on demonstrating XOD to club members yesterday I was asked to prepare a detailed presentation and tutorial.

Thank you for the feedback! I am glad that your students are interested as well. I suspect they are 12+ y/o children. Am I right?

May I ask you to share your observations on how XOD suits the club participants’ requirements? That’s would be super-valuable for us to steer the development properly. Especially important are those moments where people “don’t get it”, or when doing things how they feel natural “they do it wrong.”

If you see ways how can we make XOD easier to adopt, just let me know :wink:

I rated 4 stars because even that it has a tutorial for thermometer its for the tmp36 and if you are like me and bought this kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elegoo-Complete-Ultimate-TUTORIAL-controller/dp/B01IUZK3JO even that it has a thermometer its the DHT11 and I will be nice that if there was a version for that one, but for the rest its great.

Hello! Thank you for the feedback. By the way, do you know a driver for DHT11 is actually already in the standard library. You can use this node as a drop-in replacement for the mentioned tmp36.

Really great tutorial!
One thing you MUST (:-)) add is an explanation of the watch node and the debugger. It’s a killer feature imho, and very useful with younger people (will report our use with kids as soon as we’ll have tried at our fablab dedicated to kids)

Thank you for this great tool!

Yeah, I agree with watch’es. The “problem” is that they appeared later than the tutorial was made. We have a few more things to say in the tutorial and it requires to restructure it a bit. I am waiting when we add the tweaks (interactive watch antipodes). Then we’ll extend the tutorial.

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the XOD community!

For me it was impossible to step through the tutorial because of problems with my servo. I found the problem thanks to a watch node and then I was able to step over the further tutorial sections. Therefore I think a simple section about watches should come behind tutorial section “10-math”. Further things like tweaks can be explained in a later section.

In order not only to talk but to do, I created a simple watch section from my newbie perspective:

1 Like

Great tutorial!

Maybe you can add lesson about motors (Exp. 9) ?

When I try to create new node I don’t see modal with new name. After some manipulation I understood. “Project Browser” panel should be visible. Please fix it.

Thank you for the feedback!

Maybe you can add lesson about motors (Exp. 9) ?

The idea of the tutorial expects it should be usable with any popular Arduino starter kit out there. The dc motor is a thing that can’t be found in any kit. We’ll make a guide article on driving DC-motors which will summarize the opportunities but it will be out-of-tutorial.

When I try to create new node I don’t see modal with new name. After some manipulation I understood. “Project Browser” panel should be visible. Please fix it.

Oh, that’s a bug. Thank you for narrowing it down. I’ve created an issue to schedule a fix: Can’t create new patch when Project Browser is hidden · Issue #1831 · xodio/xod · GitHub

1 Like

Great tutorial,
I have been able to complete all of the simple tutorial steps with relative ease. My trouble comes when i am trying to do more complicated patches. For example, building an obstacle avoidance robot. My bot has a servo for steering and a single drive wheel. the ultrasonic sensor is mounted on a second servo.
i just want the bot to look left and then right and then back up/ turn into the direction with the most room to move forward again. I have made the program a hundred different ways and it all gets very complicated. when testing the bot does not follow the steps in the order i want it to or it starts mixing the steps together. I have also ran into trouble with giving the l298 instructions. when running the motor by itself it works fine at any speed i set but when combined into the main patch the servos will work but the motor control only functions as discrete, either full speed or no speed at all. i will now go learn how to put the code i have written into this message thread for all the enjoyment of you pros to mock. Really wanted to be able to figure this out on my own but it is discouraging me at this point.

1 Like

Отличные уроки, но хотелось бы немного больше внимания самым простым вещам; условиям, сравнениям, мне как человеку далекому от программирования не понятны азы. На мой взгляд нужен урок со всеми простыми функциями и объяснением для чего они служат и как влияют,