Stepper done output

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the stepdir node. I am using this with a CNC Shield V 3. The motor moves fine. I have written a patch to move to a limit switch for a homing routine. Now I am trying to program a move then use the done output pulse to trigger a relay to come on for some time. Currently I have the PPS=5, and N=-1000. This would calculate to the move taking 200 seconds (correct?). the move actually takes about 5-6 seconds. but after 200 seconds the done output will pulse. Why is this happening? I have the stepper motor set up to be full step according to the jumpers on the board.

Thank You for any help.

Acceleration + deceleration?.. Or maybe the clock code poles the clock counter…

(I use big stepper motors (in comparison to Mickey Mouse common Arduino ones) and if you need to move big loads then some degree of acceleration and deceleration is required to avoid lost steps)

… For your “done” signal why don’t you add a roller limit switch to confirm the end of the movement before the next operation… Relying on a time delay is risky given the time signal is generated by an internal clock pulse IMO… If you use interrupts then internal calculated time goes to the wall if generated by clock pulses… I always VARIFY position!

On my gear / transmission shift I use linear potentiometers to confirm linear position (or an error could be very expensive mechanically shifting from 6 >>>3 or worse… 6>>>>1 if you were aiming for 5

hello raspberrypichuber,
i know its long time a go but you are the only one who wrote that you have used the CNC Shield V3 (+ a4988 drivers) in combination with XOD and the stepdir note successfully.
I have tried the same but nothing happens. Do i have to install something special because of the shield or do I need additional code or patch to run a Stepper (Nema17) with XOD?

I have also tried the same with the adafruit motor driver shield but here i have also no reaction on the stepper.

I used the same ports/pins for DIR and STEP as i have used in a normal Arduino code and this works fine with the same hardware configuration.

I wondering why in this Forum is nearly no info about running a stepper with those shields and i hope you can help me out.

thank you in advanced.

I also agree, there is a lack of information about stepper motors and how to control them. I’m using Tb6600 and nkrkv library. And all I could do is move one stepper. It would be appreciated if some experts do a tutorial on practical example. Thanks guys.

Take care.

Oh yes.That would be really great!

Do I understand it right that the accelstepper library ivanmason/accelstepper should be able to bring the same results as the stepdir note? Even more, it tells that it should be possible to run up to 10 steppers to the same time.
Sadly I couldn’t find any tutorial for the accelstepper library to understand all details of it.

But for me it would be great to start with just one stepper. But even with the accelstepper Lib I didn’t get any response by the steppers.
I connected a poti to the same Arduino Mega (which drags the shield on it) and it works totally fine and I can see the value feedback in XOD’s pot-note while using the debugging mode.
So I still think the shield is the problem.

@damjank in your case at least one stepper works, right? Have you done everything more than just added the stepdir note and pasted the right ports before you uploaded it?