Many Many problems After Installing Xod

I am a new user to XOD and I have tried reinstalling several different versions (0.25.1, 0.30.0 and 0.31) but none of them work correctly. My biggest issue is when I try to upload my first patch, the board model list is empty and says Loading list of supported boards but never populates and the Update button doesn’t work (Duh). Also when I try to Update Arduino packages and tool-chains, it says checking for updates but never populates. I am currently using version 0.25.1 and am getting frustrated with the program. Web searches have many in the multitudes but not very helpful. HELP!!!

I should post my system, Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 with 4GB memory, 256GB storage with Arduino IDE installed.

Hello! Thanks for reporting.

Please use the latest version and check if there are any error messages in the console, which can be accessed by pressing Ctrl+Shift+I.

I have tried 0.31, 0.30 and 0.25. 0.31 is even worse than 0.25, I get errors when I try to upload tyo Arduino or if I try to Update tool-chains from the Deploy menu.

Ok, I upgraded to 0.31.1 again and when I try to upload to Arduino I get this error:

Package index broken
Error: Unexpected token E in JSON at position 0
Check correctness of the corresponding URL in “C:\Users\pro 3\xod_packages_/extra.txt” and try to update indexes again.

When I try to Update Arduino Packages and tool-chains it still doesn’t do anything except to say Checking for Updates.

1 Like

internal/process/warning.js:18 (node:15900) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.
writeOut @ internal/process/warning.js:18
DevTools failed to parse SourceMap: file:///C:/Program%20Files/XOD%20IDE/resources/app.asar/src-babel/bundle.js.map

Package index broken
Error: Command failed: “C:\Program Files\XOD IDE\resources\arduino-cli.exe” --config-file=C:\Users\pro 3\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino-clif4G3mi.cli-config.yml config dump Error: unknown command “3\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino-clif4G3mi\.cli-config.yml” for “arduino-cli” Run ‘arduino-cli --help’ for usage. "C:\Program Files\XOD IDE\resources\arduino-cli.exe" --config-file=C:\Users\pro 3\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino-clif4G3mi\.cli-config.yml config dump (exited with error code 1)
Check correctness of the corresponding URL in “C:\Users\pro 3\xod_packages_/extra.txt” and try to update indexes again

Cannot update indexes
Error: unknown command “3\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino-clif4G3mi\.cli-config.yml” for “arduino-cli” Bad exit.
Check your internet connection and correctness of URLs in “C:\Users\pro 3\xod_packages_/extra.txt”, then try again

This is the errors I got tonight. The first when I opened the program, and the second when I tried to Upload to Arduino.

Hello! Thanks for the report.
Looks like this is the same issue: https://github.com/xodio/xod/issues/1723
In short, there is a problem with spaces in username on Windows.
Definitely, it’s time to fix it. I’ll do it soon. Stay tuned.

Until then you can create a new user on your PC without spaces in the name and it should work properly.

I am still getting this eror:

Package index broken
Error: Unexpected token E in JSON at position 0
Check correctness of the corresponding URL in “C:\Users\pro 3\xod_packages_/extra.txt” and try to update indexes again

even after creating a username without any spaces in it.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:
Strange, but I see a space in the log that you posted: C:\Users\pro 3\xod_packages_/extra.txt
Probably, Windows did it for you :sweat_smile: Probably you need to turn off adding a domain to the username or something like that, I’m not sure. Or just wait for the fix… I’m working on it.

I’m sure it is the space in the folder name now. I uninstalled XOD last night, logged on as a different user, installed XOD on the new user, the user folder doesn’t have a space in the name, and everything worked fine. I then logged off that user, logged back on the first user, ran XOD again (this was from the all user install from the other used that XOD worked on, and I still got the same errors as before. So the folder name is the problem. I will wait for you to complete the fix and then either update or reinstall at that point.

@drsaylor
I’ve already done with it (PR: https://github.com/xodio/xod/pull/1906 ).
The fix will be included in the next release.

But now you can download the prerelease version (v0.31.2-alpha.be98d789): https://www.googleapis.com/download/storage/v1/b/releases.xod.io/o/v0.31.2-alpha.be98d789%2FXOD%20IDE%20Setup%200.31.2-alpha.be98d789.exe?generation=1573584233408735&alt=media

Please, write the review about this prerelease to make sure that helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like