Is there a way to participate to translation?

Hello,

Is there a way to participate to translation of xod ? If you use an open source solution to translate it (as pootle or rosetta for example) i’m interested to try to participate to the translation to french. If you don’t have a pootle server, i can try to search one.

Many thanks for suggesting your help.

Unfortunately, XOD IDE is not yet internationalized in code and it is not on top of our backlog.

IMO the most useful thing to localize is documentation. I believe it would give much more gain than UI translation. And in this area, any help is much welcomed.

What translation you’re interested in more? IDE or docs?

Thanks for your reply. I’m interested more in IDE for the moment. If this change, I will tell you.

I agree with @nkrkv, it’s better to focus on documentation translation than on IDE translation. If you translate the IDE, and functions/buttons are named differently, then the obvious limitation is that only documentation in the same language as the IDE remains usable, which is a severe limitation (since most documentation will be in English anyway).

Though it’s important to ask the question how useful translation would be in the first place, since there are so many technical terms involved that even a “translation” would still sound like an awkward mix of English and the translation language I think.

Thanks for your reply. You’re right. However the problems i saw for the translation of tutorial are that they will cost me a lot (my English level is not good) because there is a lot of things that I don’t understand in the IDE. I saw first translating the IDE will be a more easiest and progressive way for my English knowledge, but i maybe wrong (I have already participate to English to French translation of open source software, it was a very good way to understand better the software, and after it was much more easy to be able to translate tutorial).

I still didn’t have done something with XOD except launching the IDE. I tried to understand quickly the led content by default but I was lost. Maybe if some one could make a code with XOD to make a simple traffic light (with 3 leds and delays to display it) and share it, I can better understanding how it works ? If saw that a children can change easily the delay and add new leds to the code, i think i will try to make a tutorial on it in french.
I think making a traffic light will help more to contextualize the relation between the leds and the card (it can help to visualize how 3 extern items are linked to one card), and how chronological things (with delays) are implemented, things that i didn’t understand with the default led code of XOD.

With the very nice presentation on https://xod.io/, you have motivate me to make an free elearning module under CC-BY-SA licence in french in order to make the things that we can see in the pictures.

However I will need your help for this to be able to make it. Are you interested to help me ? (if no, no problem, i understand that you have a lot of work to do).

If yes, could you tell me what is the 4 components, in order that i buy it and test Xod for this maker project :

Thanks a lot !

pepe

Is Farnell OK for you? I’ve tried to find drop-in replacements:

1. Any terminal block with 5 or 5.08 mm spacing.
  2. The same. I got this one from another package, so it slightly differs in color.
  3. A general purpose MOSFET. I used IRF530. But any MOSFET with gate voltage less than 5V would fit.
  4. The same. And again it varies in color because it is from a different package.
1 Like

Thanks a lot for your reply. I usually use aliexpress or bangood.

1. Ok do you think if this terminal block could be ok ?

2. I haven’t seen these modules in https://xod.io/libs/xod/common-hardware/ Do you know if I will be able to use with XOD 2 Funduino moisture sensor (this model) ?

3. Sorry, I’m newbie, I understand nothing about MOSFET, I have IRF9530N it seems that’s not good because gate voltage is 10V (datasheet) and IRB3607 gate voltage is 20V. So I can buy any IRF530, this for example ?

4. For LCD i have one 1602A v2.0 without 2IC, and one with I2C (funduino LCM1602) do you know if I will be able to use it ? (for example with https://xod.io/libs/xod/common-hardware/text-lcd-16x2/ ) ?

5. I have 2 submersible pomp RONMA H-500 AC220-240V/50Hz 4W, do you know if it will be ok ?

6. Powering the pomp : I will have to cut the wires of the pomp, and put the wires it in the terminal block ? So it it will be arduino that will power it ? This will not destroy the arduino with my 2 pomp ?

Sorry for these newbies questions… and thanks a lot for your help.

Bonjour!

1. OK
  2. Yes, they’re all the same. Will fit.
  3. IRF9530N is P-Channel, i.e. the inverse of what we used. You can use it, but you’d have to inverse the signal to its digital-output with not node. IRB3607 should be OK. Looking at data sheet I see it starts working at 4.5V, however not opens 100%. The pump is low-power, so it should be sufficient to drive the MOSFET with 5V. 20V you’ve mentioned are required to get full characteristics (33A at 150V).
  4. The one without I²C adapter will work
  5. Oh no. You have AC220 aquarium pumps. They’re dangerous to hack and they can’t be driven by a MOSFET. FET’s can drive only DC loads. We use 12V DC pumps. Just looked around, here are examples: one, two, three
  6. In our examples the pump is powered by Vin pin of Arduino and the Arduino in its turn is powered with 12V DC wall plug adapter. That’s OK and approximately the same as if that adapter powered the pumps directly.

Bonjour Victor :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot, I bought the one DC pomp and the terminal block. When i get it (2 weeks ?), i come back to try to start the tutorial.
See you soon

OK, feel free to ask any questions if you’d need help.

Ok, thanks a lot Victor.

Does the development team need help with an italian traslation of the documentation?
I would gladly assist in this task.

Sì signore!

We appreciate any help. However, until the end of the month, we’re going to burn current version of the tutorial in flames. As a replacement, we are making a new version of tutorial right within XOD IDE with much more granular portions of knowledge and better structure.

Until that, I can’t ask you to help because I’d have to drop your effort. Stay tuned! And thank you for the proposal.

Hello,

I have the component nows, I will try to start use Xod for doing the water pump and document it in french. I will try to make the tutorial very KISS and step by step / progressive.

Maybe the first objective could be to display a text with the LCD screen. I will try to do it, if I have problems, I come back to tell you.

Regards

Wooo great job guys !
I like a lot XOD :slight_smile: This is the first time I upload the code with it, and start a little to understand how it works. It’s a really cool IDE !
The example when we start the program and the links to the documentation on each nodes help a lot, thanks for this improvements. I have done a first shot of a training module for blinking the led (in french) : http://formations.open-elearning.fr/modules/electronique/xod/decouverte/
I have discovered after the Quick start tutorial ( https://xod.io/docs/) he is really nice and helpful, thanks !

The version that we can see now is the new version ?

You rock guys, I have seen that you have done the tutorial for the pumps, thanks :slight_smile:

Bonjour, @pepe! Glad to see you again.

Oh, that’s great! I’ll add a link to your work on documentation page in the next update. If you’d have something more until upcoming Monday, I’ll include in that release too.

Not yet. We’re working hard to release it at the nearest Monday.

:thinking: We have had it for a quite long time already.

Bonjour Victor,

Ok thanks for your feedback and for adding the link. So I haven’t read it before, well that was a great idea to make this tutorial with the pumps.

1 Like