Using xod/your arduino-cli wrapper for another project

Hello again,

In parallel to XOD experiments, I’m working on helping another arduino ide project using blockly. We’d like to make an electron client and use the same arduino-cli like you did in xod. We already have a perfectly working static html-js page that generates arduino code.

• do you think we could use xod as a base for that work?
  • how could we proceed?

Background info : I know extensively the laravel framework (php), quite a bit of javascript, concepts of nodejs, git workflows, arduino (obviously :slight_smile: ) - so as you can see I don’t know it all super-well

Thanks!

Hello, @philippejadin!
Here you are: https://www.npmjs.com/package/arduino-cli
Feel free to contribute :slight_smile:

That was fast :slight_smile: Thank you! Will report and contribute if I can

Any recommendation on where to put the arduino-cli binary in the context of an electron app ? (A link to a tutorial would do :slight_smile: )

Really, you can place it anywhere you want :slight_smile:

We place it into Resources folder using extraResources property in package.json
However, for different OS we’re downloading and unpacking different executables, so there are no arduino-cli in our repo at all. Check out this files:

Good luck with your project!

Oh my, so many things to learn still !

Did you see that : https://blog.travis-ci.com/2018-10-11-windows-early-release

One last I hope. As I understand, the import syntax is newer javascript not yet natively supported by nodejs. HOw do you handle this?

The only way I made it work is this :

var arduino_cli = require('arduino-cli');

const cli = arduino_cli.default('./arduino-cli', {
  arduino_data: '~/arduino-cli/data',
  sketchbook_path: '~/arduino-cli/sketches',
});

cli.core.updateIndex().then(console.log('succeeded'));

Note the use of .default which looks strange to me.

Thank again!

We’re using babel.
And compose bundles for client-side using webpack.

Also you can extract default right in place of requiring it:

var arduino_cli = require('arduino-cli').default;

I’m progressing well thanks to your package. I hope it’s the right place to discuss this, tell me if not.

I’d like to be able to instantiate the arduino-cli wrapper without defining data and sketch pathes, in order to use the built-in defaults (those are the same as the arduino ide as far as I can tell). This is actually a nice feature in the arduino-cli binary because this way you share the sketches and the libs and board installed with the ide. It makes a lot of sense for our project, since it’s an introduction to real coding, (you start with visual coding -> then arduino ide later, where you find all the libs, boards, and sketches already there)

Would this be possible with arduino-cli wrapper?