[I want a node] Supply read node for low battery indicator

Supply Low

Reads the boards voltage supply and using a settable threshold below which the condition is true

Inputs

• THRES (number, default=?) — The voltage threshold below which this node outputs true.
  • UPD (pulse, default=loop) — When the voltage read is updated; never, loop, boot

Outputs

• LOW (boolean, default=0) — True (1) is voltage below THRES node input number.
  • VOLT (number, default=?) — The supply voltage.

The use case here is because of an automatic chicken door which is left to do it’s thing day after day, running on a battery.

This node would be able to light an LED when the voltage gets to a settable low threshold, so I know it’ll be time to change the battery soon before the board stops functioning.

Understandably, without having to use external components to do this, the voltage read is not super accurate with the 1.1v variance -+ 0.1v. But certainly good enough for many use cases to indicate low battery.

I do not know how to implement this into a node! I’m not a coder, but I always try to work it out when I need too, so please help. From several sources I’ve got this code below.

Thanks for your help.

long readVcc() {
  long result; // Read 1.1V reference against AVcc
  ADMUX = _BV(REFS0) | _BV(MUX3) | _BV(MUX2) | _BV(MUX1);
  delay(2); // Wait for Vref to settle
  ADCSRA |= _BV(ADSC); // Convert
  while (bit_is_set(ADCSRA,ADSC));
  result = ADCL;
  result |= ADCH<<8;
  result = 1126400L / result; // Back-calculate AVcc in mV
  return result;
}

https://provideyourown.com/2012/secret-arduino-voltmeter-measure-battery-voltage/
and
https://github.com/sweebee/Arduino-home-automation/blob/master/libraries/readVcc/readVcc.h

This node is a good compliment to the other node I asked for here: [I want a node] Sleep and Wake for battery longevity

hi, some time ago I made two schmitt-trigger nodes (analog and digital) if you are interested in cesars/utils library

Thanks @cesars

I’ve tried to implement the code into a simple number out, but it doesn’t work, what is wrong with this? How do I write the result number to the output? Should the first section #endif be contained in a setup?

struct State {
};

{{ GENERATED_CODE }}

void evaluate(Context ctx) {

// Read 1.1V reference against AVcc
  // set the reference to Vcc and the measurement to the internal 1.1V reference
  #if defined(__AVR_ATmega32U4__) || defined(__AVR_ATmega1280__) || defined(__AVR_ATmega2560__)
    ADMUX = _BV(REFS0) | _BV(MUX4) | _BV(MUX3) | _BV(MUX2) | _BV(MUX1);
  #elif defined (__AVR_ATtiny24__) || defined(__AVR_ATtiny44__) || defined(__AVR_ATtiny84__)
    ADMUX = _BV(MUX5) | _BV(MUX0);
  #elif defined (__AVR_ATtiny25__) || defined(__AVR_ATtiny45__) || defined(__AVR_ATtiny85__)
    ADMUX = _BV(MUX3) | _BV(MUX2);
  #else
    ADMUX = _BV(REFS0) | _BV(MUX3) | _BV(MUX2) | _BV(MUX1);
  #endif  

delay(2); // Wait for Vref to settle
  ADCSRA |= _BV(ADSC); // Start conversion
  while (bit_is_set(ADCSRA,ADSC)); // measuring

uint8_t low  = ADCL; // must read ADCL first - it then locks ADCH  
  uint8_t high = ADCH; // unlocks both

long result = (high<<8) | low;

result = 1125300L / result; // Calculate Vcc (in mV); 1125300 = 1.1*1023*1000
  return result; // Vcc in millivolts

emitValue<output_OUT>(ctx, result);
}

I have deleted the previous messages not to confuse

also update the cesars/utils library, maybe this will help

EnchantingAjarAlaskanhusky-size_restricted1

Do you really want to use a microprocessor for this? I’m no electronics guru but it seems to me a hardware solution might be better. Some good examples here. https://www.eleccircuit.com/simple-led-display-warn-battery-low/
How about a rechargeable battery and solar cell? Never change the battery again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.