Continued development of XOD

I’m a relative newcomer to the micro world, experimenting and building small projects for a year. XOD has been a breakthrough for me. I’ve recently retired from a 40 year career in software engineering. One of my go-to design tools had been Data Flow Diagrams. I came to rely on the discipline of breaking down complex problems into discrete processes. This practice really comes to life with XOD. It’s how I think.

I observe there are others out there like me, who see the potential in this tool. But then, I learned that the product isn’t supported because the Engineers are Russian, and no longer able to participate because of the war.

I was wondering if there’s even a possibility that the software might continue development in an opensource manner. Any thoughts?

Oh, I see some of this has been discussed in the Announcements category. I’ll look at this more closely.

Unfortunately, there have been no updates since soon after the war started. This forum continues to work, so I assume someone is paying the bills… It would probably be fatal to XOD if we were to loose this forum and the documentation site, even if source code were still available.

Hi - there’s a group of us at the University of Cambridge who are also very keen to see XOD grow again. I thoroughly agree with your thoughts about it providing a natural way to collect and implement hardware-software problem-solving. We’ve been using it with non-programmer biologists for DIY instrumentation - more details at www.biomaker.org

At least if we can bring together enthusiasts - we’ll be in a better position to take advantage of any opportunities that might come by. Victor Nakoryakov and his colleagues have done an amazing job getting us this far, but now unfortunately stalled by war. Certainly, one possibility would be to explore open source models, if one could identify some financial support, and programming expertise to help.

2 Likes

I hope to see XOD alive again, also with new OS versions.
At first, I wanted to build a robot, and decided to run it on Arduino (didn’t have a board yet).
Then I saw this program, and it was like: “That’s IT!” - I like the style and functionality of XOD… so I started to build a program in it - but when it exceeded the memory limits of Arduino (sadly too little memory space), I decided to buy Rasp.Pi… hoping to be able to translate the code to Arduino by build-in XOD option, but… I can’t paste it and run into Arduino IDE in my Pi - also XOD does not want to install on Pi.
I wish to see XOD rise, with not only Ardu, but also Pi implementation, as they are 2 most popular brands.
I know it needs time, which… was taken by that madness (which is the war), but I hope it will stand up anyway.
If not - I only hope that someone from devs will publish it as open-source to encourage work on it by others/community, and not let it just die.

XOD was a breakthrough for me as well… I have never been able to wrap my head around any kind of programming language beyond very simple arduino IDE sketches… XOD’s GUI is used in exactly the same way that my brain works.

It allows me to get what’s in my head into a functioning setup for my “maker” things. It got me through a bout of major depression by allowing me to tinker and work on different things during the nights alone after a major life change and converting to living solo.