Arduino NG Upload Failure

When I try to upload I get the following message:
· Transpiling…
· Project was successfully transpiled. Searching for device…
· Port with connected Arduino was found. Installing toolchains…
· Toolchain is installed. Uploading…
Upload failed. ChildProcessError: Command failed: “C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\xod-client-electron\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9\bin\avrdude.exe” -C “C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\xod-client-electron\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9\etc\avrdude.conf” -p atmegang -c arduino -P COM8 -b 19200 -D “-Uflash:w:C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\xod-client-electron\upload-temp\build\xod-arduino-sketch.cpp.hex:i”
avrdude.exe: AVR Part “atmegang” not found.

Valid parts are:
uc3a0512 = AT32UC3A0512
c128 = AT90CAN128
c32 = AT90CAN32
c64 = AT90CAN64
pwm2 = AT90PWM2
pwm216 = AT90PWM216
The list of valid parts is quite long so I left out most of it. The end of message is,

"C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\xod-client-electron\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9\bin\avrdude.exe" -C "C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\xod-client-electron\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9\etc\avrdude.conf" -p atmegang -c arduino -P COM8 -b 19200 -D "-Uflash:w:C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\xod-client-electron\upload-temp\build\xod-arduino-sketch.cpp.hex:i" (exited with error code 1)

When using the Arduino program i found that if I pressed the Rest button on the Arduino at the start of the upload I could get it to work otherwise it also failed.
The board I am using is an Arduino NG.

I have read some of the other Upload problems tried deleting XOD and re-installing but it still does not work.

Thanks

Antiques detected! :star_struck:

The problem has nothing to do with those discussed in neighbor threads. As far as I see, the current version of avrdude (ATmega uploader) no longer supports atmegang as a target.

Can you ever upload blink successfully from Arduino IDE 1.8.x? If so, could you post its upload log verbatim here? I wonder what modification of NG do you have: with which MCU model?

I finally got back to this.

I have 2 NG boards that were given to me a while ago.

The MCU's on the boards are different. One is ATMEGA8-16PU and the other is ATMEGA168-20PU.

The A8 board is running when powered and appears to have some version of the Blink program with different delay values. This board I have not been able to program with IDE 1.8.6.

The A168 board I have been able to program but only when I push the Reset Button on the board after clicking on the upload ICON.

The only thing in the log is:

Sketch uses 926 bytes (6%) of program storage space. Maximum is 14336 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1015 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 1024 bytes.

If I don't press the Reset button I can see the RX LED flash about every 4 or 5 seconds and eventually the Upload program times out and I get this:

Sketch uses 926 bytes (6%) of program storage space. Maximum is 14336 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1015 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 1024 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xec

Deleted repeat to shorten email

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xec

Problem uploading to board.  See for suggestions.

Can I replace the MCU on these boards and get them working?

Thanks

Is anything wired to the boards? I thought I had killed one of my boards because it could no longer update…turns out the only problem is I had wired the tx/rx pins (0 & 1 on UNO) to devices & it was disrupting the transfer. Seems that is the error I was getting…

I have no experience with NG’s. When I met Arduino back in 2010 it was already outdated. But some historical resources say that the manual reset used to be the right way to program a board. So the experience you get with A168 is OK and I think A8 is no longer supported at all. I don’t know wether replacing A8’s chip to ATmega168 will automatically make it the latter NG. The chances are high it will, but I’m not sure.

To put in summary.

• You can use A168 with XOD: reset it on flash just as you do for Arduino IDE
  • A8 is very outdated, it is not supported