A new MIDI library

Well, actually, there are 3 libraries.
The main one is e/midi, which defines all the necessary types, abstractions (and also some helpers for common use cases).
And there are also e/serial-midi and e/usb-midi, which implement actual MIDI I/O communications over Serial and USB.

Here is how to use them.

Creating MIDI messages

e/midi defines a message type to represent MIDI messages so we won’t have to throw around status and data bytes as separate values.

You can create a message by specifying a type, channel and data bytes using a e/midi/message node. There are also helper nodes for common message types like note-on, note-off, control-change, program-change, mod-wheel and pitch-bend. And, of course, you can create other ones yourself!

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 16.57.20

Sending and receiving messages

e/midi only defines generic send and receive nodes:
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 18.16.00

There are a few other alternative transport methods besides the good old 5-pin DIN, and I want to make message processing logic be as decoupled from them as possible.

For now, two are supported: e/serial-midi for communication on the serial ports and e/usb-midi for communication over USB. The next one should probably be a wrapper around something like Arduino-AppleMIDI-Library (and I would love if someone would help with that :wink:).

Let’s say you want to make a simple controller that will act a a mod wheel:
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 18.37.30
If you have a board with native USB support (like Arduino Leonardo) and want to make a USB controller, place a e/usb-midi/usb-midi node and connect it to send's MIDI input. And it you want to switch it for an old-school 5-pin DIN connection over serial, just replace usb-midi with one of serial-midi nodes from e/serial-midi. Generic nodes are awesome!

Unpacking and processing messages

To extract status and data bytes from message, use e/midi/unpack-message:
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 17.41.16

e/midi has a filter-by-channel node that only lets through messages with a specified channel (and is an example on how to deal with messages in C++)

e/midi also includes some helper nodes that extract data from specific messages and ignore the rest (on-control-change, on-pitch-bend etc).

Here is how to control a servo with ModWheel CC messages sent over the 1st channel:

As with message-creating nodes, the included message-processing helpers are absolutely not meant to cover all the possible use cases. But as long you use e/midi/message type, all additional helper libraries will be compatible with each other (and with future additional/alternative transport implementations)!

3 Likes

I would especially love some input on this from authors of other MIDI-libraries (@awgrover, @dox, @copsmusic and others).

1 Like

please be patient. i will have a look at this library soon. unfortunately i am very busy at the moment…

1 Like