ESP32 "Compilation Failed Command maxBuffer size exceeded"

Hello,

Really like XOD so far, although only just starting.

I am attempting to compile for the ESP32, but running in to an error which I can’t find anyone else has had yet. I’m on Windows 10, fresh install of XOD, added the ESP32 boards JSON to extra.txt, and successfully downlaoded and installed the board within XOD when prompted. I’m attempting to compile the simpliest of patches (e.g. ‘hello’ ‘booleans’ etc.), plus I’ve already had it working on an ESP8266 without any issues.

Hunting through the error messages I get, I can’t see any clear information about where to look for the problem. Hence, I’m here to see if anyone can help!

Screenshot and error message below.

End of the error message here:

IC:\Users\Scott\xod\packages\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4/tools/sdk/include/fb_gfx" -std=gnu++11 -Os -g3 -Wpointer-arith -fexceptions -fstack-protector -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fstrict-volatile-bitfields -mlongcalls -nostdlib -w -Wno-error=maybe-uninitialized -Wno-error=unused-function -Wno-error=unused-but-set-variable -Wno-error=unused-variable -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-but-set-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-sign-compare -fno-rtti -MMD -c -DF_CPU=240000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_ESP32_DEV -DARDUINO_ARCH_ESP32 “-DARDUINO_BOARD=“ESP32_DEV”” "-DARDUINO_VARIANT=“esp32"” -DESP32 -DCORE_DEBUG_LEVEL=0 “-IC:\Users\Scott\xod\packages\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\cores\esp32” “-IC:\Users\Scott\xod\packages\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\variants\esp32” “C:\Users\Scott\xod\packages\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\cores\esp32\MD5Builder.cpp” -o “C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino-sketch-E810B247DB9BA2CC1985A303E91CF2A0\core\MD5Builder.cpp.o”
Compilation failed
Command maxBuffer size exceeded
The generated C++ code contains errors. It can be due to a bad node implementation or if your board is not compatible with XOD runtime code. The original compiler error message is above. Fix C++ errors to continue. If you believe it is a bug, report the problem to XOD developers.

Hi, this can be simulated without problem, if you load it on board you will not get visible results.

Now I am not sure if it is compatible with all ESP32, I do not have to test.

Thanks - Yes, in this case, it would not show visible results, but it is not even compiling so that it downloads to the board at the moment.

I’m also new to XOD and have written only a few programs using the esp8266 and they all work well. However, I am having the same problem as listed above with the ESP32 board. The Compiler fails with message “Command maxBuffer size exceeded”.

I’m hoping this is a simple error of something I’m doing, I have been trying many different options and don’t know what to try next.

Can someone help me ?

It probably means your program is too big to fit in memory of the selected Arduino model. We would need to see the full error message and maybe your program to be of much more help.

I am using the DOIT ESP32 Devkit V1. Here is the failing message i get on sending blank data.
Compilation failed
Command maxBuffer size exceeded
The generated C++ code contains errors. It can be due to a bad node implementation or if your board is not compatible with XOD runtime code. The original compiler error message is above. Fix C++ errors to continue. If you believe it is a bug, report the problem to XOD developers.
Program works fine on my ESP-8266 as well as my Uno boards. I tried using every listing of esp32 drivers only to get the same error. I am a fairly new user. Looking forward to using it more.

I wouldn’t worry about buffer size until you’ve resolved the C++ errors. You will have to scroll back to see what the original error was. Later errors may or may not be be helpful since they may just be the compiler confused after the first error.

Hello!

We recently released XOD v0.35, which fixes most cases of maxBuffer size exceeded problem. Could you check if upload to your board works fine now?

1 Like

Yes everything is working fine. Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the Fix. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.