ESP 8266 trying to connect wifi with <ESP8266WiFi.h> missing error

I am trying to test the ESP8266 module with XOD’s built-in example-get-external-ip and it returns the error below:

"C:\Users\tbing\AppData\Local\Temp\xod_temp_sketchbookvWTv0H\xod_1586130293657_sketch\xod_1586130293657_sketch.ino:977:10: fatal error: ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

Alternatives for ESP8266WiFi.h: []
ResolveLibrary(ESP8266WiFi.h)
-> candidates: []

Error: exit status 1
Compilation failed."

What am I missing?

I’m not sure whether your board supports this connection.

I used it with the Amica NodeMCU 8266 board and it works perfectly.

Hi ahmadsuki,
I have tried it as you’ve suggested and the same thing happened.
XOD IDE is asking for this missing library.
I don’t think this is a hardware compatibility issue as the compilation phase could not be completed and therefore could not even attempt to run on the module.
Please see the attached image.

This is the board I have:

Firmware version is: NonOS AT Bin V1.7.3

Is there a way to add the asked library manually into XOD environment ans should I try this?
Thanks.

Try to upload as “Generic ESP8266 Module”.

I dont know. Seems this firmware does not allow you to use IDE.
Can you flash the Board with a sketch from an Arduino IDE?
"Blink, for example.

What is a “Generic ESP8266 Module”?
I have managed to get an IP with Arduino IDE.
I have read elsewhere that I was supposed to use xod-dev/esp8266 instead of xod-dev/esp8266-mcu as I am not using the MCU version of the module. However I could not get this working.
Can anyone help me set up for this?
Thank you.

I have the same error, it seems that the library in XOD for esp8266 is bugged or it somehow fails to be included in the compilation.

ESP8266WiFi.h is a part of the esp8266 package, so it should be included properly if you selected one of the boards from this package.

I can suggest you upgrade the package (Menu: Deploy -> Upgrade Arduino packages & toolchains…) and try again. If the problem persists, please tell me (or make a screenshot) what board do you select in the Upload popup.

1 Like

Hi brusher,

I am having the same problem as others when I try to upload a scatch to the board it was giving me a strange error about missing library ESP8266Wifi.h even though I had I included in the IDE program. It was happening to me on Wemos D1 and the Chinese close of Arduino Uno and Mega. I somehow fixed this by (I think) by uploading to Arduino without Tx and RX from ESP1 plugged into Arduino. Because I‘ve read somewhere the Arduino uses Rx and TX pins when uploading a scatch through USB from the IDEs. Like this, I managed to upload it without this error, but I am not sure it was the reason what was causing it.

I am at this moment using Xod to make a simple program to use humidity and temperature sensors and according to the readings to switch on and off the fans using the relays. I wanted to upload the data to some server like Xod feeds or Thingspeak So I could watch the reading online, but aster two weeks of battle with my ESP01 sensor I have so far failed to manage it.

I am not sure If it is an error in my program(s) or on my board. I tried also to use codes in Arduino IDE and there I have different sets of problems than in XOD. I am a beginner and I am sure it will be a problem somewhere between the computer and the chair.