Trigger a string

Hi to all, this is my first post, sorry for bad English :slight_smile:

Is there any way to “trigger a string”?
And by that i mean to output string from “if…else” block.
I need some kind of triggering mechanism for gas sensor project. What i want to achieve is something like that: “If value is above 0.7, then print “warning” in second row of 2x16 LCD”. Unfortunately, output from “if…else” block can only be number.
Is it possible to achieve that with XOD?

Hello!

Thanks for trying.

Not yet. I understand your problem, but there is no out-of-the box if-else node for strings. Strings support is still very basic. We’ll improve it in one of nearest updates.

Thanks for fast reply.

Cant wait to see that functionality.

A string multiplexer would do the work and I would love that.

Could you explain multiplexing as you see it? Am I right, you mean several variants as inputs and an additional input which serves as a selector, and the node outputs the selected variant?

Exactly.

The node doesn’t need to be specific, it could acommodate datatype as a node setting.
I just made an on-the-fly example using Quartz composer for you.

Orange wires mean that some datatype conversion happens along the way. I love that about this IDE, it is very, very not punitive. But what could make more sense when you connect an index output to a string input? :wink:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqjbe7afqyivezl/dd_multiplexers.mov?dl=0

Aha! Thank you for the screencast. Now it’s clear. We’re going to support something similar in XOD.

My custom node which displays the index at the bottom of the window is actually a pulse triggering a ramp.

@szynyszyl asked

“If value is above 0.7, then print “warning” in second row of 2x16 LCD”. Unfortunately, output from “if…else” block can only be number.
Is it possible to achieve that with XOD?

I’ve been playing with writing some lib/ nodes. With the ones I’ve written you could do:

if/else -> awg/conversions/true-to-pulse -> awg/values/text -> LCD

see my lib, things in lib/.

I created an example, and tested it for your example, but this forum doesn’t allow .xodball, so I put it at my github example

1 Like

Oops. Whitelisted the .xodball extension.

1 Like

xod/core/if-else-string is available out of the box since v0.15.0

Hi, I could not find it anymore. and the documentation is not working.
I am looking for an if-else-string as well. and I can NOT see it. Can you assist with finding the way to trigger a string upon conditions.
I want to be able to send a string of C or F upon condition to an LCD. I want to use a trigger to switch between the two.
Thanks

hi, if-else is generic, enter the string value between " ".

1 Like

Thank you!
I now know that I needed the " "…